Tuesday 10 January 2012

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 (Weekday)

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
We must show charity towards the sick, who are in greater need of help. Let us take them some small gift if they are poor, or, at least let us go and wait on them and comfort them.
-- St. Alphonsus Liguori


READINGS FOR TODAY
First Reading: 1 Samuel 3:1-10, 19-20

(The Lord Appears to Samuel)

1 In those days, when the boy Samuel was serving the Lord under the direction of Eli, there were very few messages from the Lord, and visions from him were quite rare.
2 One night Eli, who was now almost blind, was sleeping in his own room;
3 Samuel was sleeping in the sanctuary, where the sacred Covenant Box was. Before dawn, while the lamp was still burning,
4 the Lord called Samuel. He answered, “Yes, sir!”
5 and ran to Eli and said, “You called me, and here I am.” But Eli answered, “I didn't call you; go back to bed.” So Samuel went back to bed.
6-7 The Lord called Samuel again. The boy did not know that it was the Lord, because the Lord had never spoken to him before. So he got up, went to Eli, and said, “You called me, and here I am.”
But Eli answered, “My son, I didn't call you; go back to bed.”
8 The Lord called Samuel a third time; he got up, went to Eli, and said, “You called me, and here I am.”
Then Eli realized that it was the Lord who was calling the boy,
9 so he said to him, “Go back to bed; and if he calls you again, say, ‘Speak, Lord, your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went back to bed.
10 The Lord came and stood there, and called as he had before, “Samuel! Samuel!”
Samuel answered, “Speak; your servant is listening.”
19 As Samuel grew up, the Lord was with him and made come true everything that Samuel said.
20 So all the people of Israel, from one end of the country to the other, knew that Samuel was indeed a prophet of the Lord.
Psalms: Psalm 40:2, 5, 7-10
2 He pulled me out of a dangerous pit, out of the deadly quicksand. He set me safely on a rock and made me secure.
5 You have done many things for us, O Lord our God; there is no one like you! You have made many wonderful plans for us. I could never speak of them all— their number is so great!
7 and so I answered, “Here I am; your instructions for me are in the book of the Law
8 How I love to do your will, my God! I keep your teaching in my heart.”
9 In the assembly of all your people, Lord, I told the good news that you save us. You know that I will never stop telling it.
10 I have not kept the news of salvation to myself; I have always spoken of your faithfulness and help. In the assembly of all your people I have not been silent about your loyalty and constant love.
Gospel: Mark 1:29-39
(Jesus Heals Many People/  Jesus Preaches in Galilee)

29 Jesus and his disciples, including James and John, left the synagogue and went straight to the home of Simon and Andrew.
30 Simon's mother-in-law was sick in bed with a fever, and as soon as Jesus arrived, he was told about her.
31 He went to her, took her by the hand, and helped her up. The fever left her, and she began to wait on them.
32 After the sun had set and evening had come, people brought to Jesus all the sick and those who had demons. 33 All the people of the town gathered in front of the house.
34 Jesus healed many who were sick with all kinds of diseases and drove out many demons. He would not let the demons say anything, because they knew who he was.
35 Very early the next morning, long before daylight, Jesus got up and left the house. He went out of town to a lonely place, where he prayed.
36 But Simon and his companions went out searching for him,
37 and when they found him, they said, “Everyone is looking for you.”
38 But Jesus answered, “We must go on to the other villages around here. I have to preach in them also, because that is why I came.”
39 So he traveled all over Galilee, preaching in the synagogues and driving out demons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...