Monday 9 January 2012

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 {St. Lucy, Virgin, Martyr (Memorial)}

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
Let us understand that God is a physician, and that suffering is a medicine for salvation, not a punishment for damnation.
-- St Augustine


READINGS FOR TODAY
First Reading: Zephaniah 3:1-2, 9-13

(Jerusalem's Sin and Redemption)

1 Woe to her who is rebellious and polluted, the oppressing city!
2 She didn’t obey the voice. She didn’t receive correction. She didn’t trust in Yahweh. She didn’t draw near to her God.
9 For then I will purify the lips of the peoples, that they may all call on the name of Yahweh, to serve him shoulder to shoulder.
10 From beyond the rivers of Cush, my worshipers, even the daughter of my dispersed people, will bring my offering. 
11 In that day you will not be disappointed for all your doings, in which you have transgressed against me; for then I will take away out of the midst of you your proudly exulting ones, and you will no more be haughty in my holy mountain.
12 But I will leave in the midst of you an afflicted and poor people, and they will take refuge in the name of Yahweh.
13 The remnant of Israel will not do iniquity, nor speak lies, neither will a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth, for they will feed and lie down, and no one will make them afraid.”
Psalms: Psalm 34:2-3, 6-7, 17-19, 23
2 My soul shall boast in Yahweh. The humble shall hear of it, and be glad.
3 Oh magnify Yahweh with me. Let us exalt his name together.
6 This poor man cried, and Yahweh heard him, And saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of Yahweh encamps round about those who fear him, And delivers them.
17 The righteous cry, and Yahweh hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles.
18 Yahweh is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves those who have a crushed spirit.
19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But Yahweh delivers him out of them all.
Gospel: Matthew 21:28-32
(The Parable of the Two Sons)

28 But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first, and said, ‘Son, go work today in my vineyard.’
29 He answered, ‘I will not,’ but afterward he changed his mind, and went.
30 He came to the second, and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I go, sir,’ but he didn’t go.
31 Which of the two did the will of his father?”
They said to him, “The first.”
Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly I tell you that the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering into the Kingdom of God before you.
32 For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you didn’t believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him. When you saw it, you didn’t even repent afterward, that you might believe him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...