Tuesday 15 May 2012

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 {Saint Isidore the Farmer (Optional Memorial)}

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
Unless you strive after virtues and practice them, you will never grow to be more than dwarfs.
-- St. Theresa of Avila

READINGS FOR TODAY
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 {Saint Isidore the Farmer (Optional Memorial)}
First Reading: Acts 16:22-34

22 And the crowd joined in the attack against Paul and Silas.
Then the officials tore the clothes off Paul and Silas and ordered them to be whipped.
23 After a severe beating, they were thrown into jail, and the jailer was ordered to lock them up tight.
24 Upon receiving this order, the jailer threw them into the inner cell and fastened their feet between heavy blocks of wood.
25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.
26 Suddenly there was a violent earthquake, which shook the prison to its foundations. At once all the doors opened, and the chains fell off all the prisoners.
27 The jailer woke up, and when he saw the prison doors open, he thought that the prisoners had escaped; so he pulled out his sword and was about to kill himself.
28 But Paul shouted at the top of his voice, “Don't harm yourself We are all here!”
29 The jailer called for a light, rushed in, and fell trembling at the feet of Paul and Silas.
30 Then he led them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They answered, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your family.”
32 Then they preached the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in the house.
33 At that very hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; and he and all his family were baptized at once.
34 Then he took Paul and Silas up into his house and gave them some food to eat. He and his family were filled with joy, because they now believed in God.

Psalm: Psalm 138:1-3, 7-8
A Prayer of Thanksgiving
1 I thank you, Lord, with all my heart; I sing praise to you before the gods.
2 I face your holy Temple, bow down, and praise your name because of your constant love and faithfulness,
because you have shown that your name and your commands are supreme.
3 You answered me when I called to you; with your strength you strengthened me.
7 When I am surrounded by troubles, you keep me safe. You oppose my angry enemies and save me by your power.
8 You will do everything you have promised; Lord, your love is eternal. Complete the work that you have begun.

Gospel: John 16:5-11
5 But now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me where I am going.
6 And now that I have told you, your hearts are full of sadness.
7 But I am telling you the truth: it is better for you that I go away, because if I do not go, the Helper will not come to you. But if I do go away, then I will send him to you.
8 And when he comes, he will prove to the people of the world that they are wrong about sin and about what is right and about God's judgment.
9 They are wrong about sin, because they do not believe in me;
10 they are wrong about what is right, because I am going to the Father and you will not see me any more;
11 and they are wrong about judgment, because the ruler of this world has already been judged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...