Saturday 3 March 2012

Sunday, March 04, 2012 (Second Sunday of Lent)

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
Irrational feeding darkens the soul and makes it unfit for spiritual experiences.
-- St. Thomas Aquinas

READINGS FOR TODAY
First Reading: Genesis 22:1-2, 9-13, 15-18
(God Commands Abraham to Offer Isaac)
1 It happened after these things, that God tested Abraham, and said to him, “Abraham!”
He said, “Here I am.”
2 He said, “Now take your son, your only son, whom you love, even Isaac, and go into the land of Moriah. Offer him there for a burnt offering on one of the mountains which I will tell you of.”
9 They came to the place which God had told him of. Abraham built the altar there, and laid the wood in order, bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar, on the wood.

10 Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to kill his son.
11 The angel of Yahweh called to him out of the sky, and said, “Abraham, Abraham!”
He said, “Here I am.”
12 He said, “Don’t lay your hand on the boy, neither do anything to him. For now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.”
13 Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and saw that behind him was a ram caught in the thicket by his horns. Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering instead of his son.
15 The angel of Yahweh called to Abraham a second time out of the sky,
16 and said, “I have sworn by myself, says Yahweh, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son,
17 that in blessing I will bless you, and in multiplying I will multiply your seed as the stars of the heavens, and as the sand which is on the seashore. Your seed will possess the gate of his enemies.
18 In your seed will all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”
Psalms: Psalm 116:10, 15-19
10 I believed, therefore I said, “I was greatly afflicted.”
15 Precious in the sight of Yahweh is the death of his saints.
16 Yahweh, truly I am your servant.I am your servant, the son of your handmaid. You have freed me from my chains.
17 I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving, And will call on the name of Yahweh.
18 I will pay my vows to Yahweh, Yes, in the presence of all his people,
19 In the courts of Yahweh’s house, In the midst of you, Jerusalem. Praise Yah!
Second Reading: Romans 8:31-34
(God's Love in Christ Jesus)
31 What then shall we say about these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
32 He who didn’t spare his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how would he not also with him freely give us all things?
33 Who could bring a charge against God’s chosen ones? It is God who justifies.
34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, yes rather, who was raised from the dead, who is at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.
Gospel: Mark 9:2-10
(The Transfiguration)
2 After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John, and brought them up onto a high mountain privately by themselves, and he was changed into another form in front of them.
3 His clothing became glistening, exceedingly white, like snow, such as no launderer on earth can whiten them.
4 Elijah and Moses appeared to them, and they were talking with Jesus.
5 Peter answered Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here. Let’s make three tents: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
6 For he didn’t know what to say, for they were very afraid.
7 A cloud came, overshadowing them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is my beloved Son. Listen to him.”
8 Suddenly looking around, they saw no one with them any more, except Jesus only.
9 As they were coming down from the mountain, he charged them that they should tell no one what things they had seen, until after the Son of Man had risen from the dead.
10 They kept this saying to themselves, questioning what the “rising from the dead” meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...