Thursday 9 February 2012

Friday, February 10, 2012 {St. Scholastica, Virgin (Memorial)}

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
The bread which you use is the bread of the hungry; the garment hanging in your wardrobe is the garment of him who is naked; the shoes you do not wear are the shoes of the one who is barefoot; the acts of charity that you do not perform are so many injustices that you commit.
-- St. Basil


READINGS FOR TODAY
First Reading: 1 Kings 11:29-32; 12:19

29 It happened at that time, when Jeroboam went out of Jerusalem, that the prophet Ahijah the Shilonite found him in the way; now Ahijah had clad himself with a new garment; and they two were alone in the field.
30 Ahijah laid hold of the new garment that was on him, and tore it in twelve pieces.
31 He said to Jeroboam, Take ten pieces; for thus says Yahweh, the God of Israel, Behold, I will tear the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon, and will give ten tribes to you
32 (but he shall have one tribe, for my servant David’s sake and for Jerusalem’s sake, the city which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel);
19 So Israel rebelled against the house of David to this day.
Psalms: Psalm 81:10-15
10 I am Yahweh, your God, Who brought you up out of the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.
11 But my people didn’t listen to my voice. Israel desired none of me.
12 So I let them go after the stubbornness of their hearts, That they might walk in their own counsels.
13 Oh that my people would listen to me, That Israel would walk in my ways!
14 I would soon subdue their enemies, And turn my hand against their adversaries.
15 The haters of Yahweh would cringe before him, And their punishment would last forever.
Gospel: Mark 7:31-37
(Jesus Heals a Deaf-Mute)
40 There came to him a leper, begging him, kneeling down to him, and saying to him, “If you want to, you can make me clean.”
41 Being moved with compassion, he stretched out his hand, and touched him, and said to him, “I want to. Be made clean.”
42 When he had said this, immediately the leprosy departed from him, and he was made clean.
43 He strictly warned him, and immediately sent him out,
44 and said to him, “See you say nothing to anybody, but go show yourself to the priest, and offer for your cleansing the things which Moses commanded, for a testimony to them.”
45 But he went out, and began to proclaim it much, and to spread about the matter, so that Jesus could no more openly enter into a city, but was outside in desert places: and they came to him from everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...