Tuesday 13 December 2011

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 {St. John of the Cross, Priest, Doctor of the Church (Memorial)}

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
No one will have any other desire in heaven than what God wills; and the desire of one will be the desire of all; and the desire of all and of each one will also be the desire of God.
-- St Anselm

READINGS FOR TODAY
First Reading: Isaiah 45:6-8, 18, 21-25

6 I do this so that everyone from one end of the world to the other may know that I am the Lord and that there is no other god.
7 I create both light and darkness; I bring both blessing and disaster. I, the Lord, do all these things.
8 I will send victory from the sky like rain; the earth will open to receive it and will blossom with freedom and justice. I, the Lord, will make this happen.”
18 The Lord created the heavens— he is the one who is God! He formed and made the earth— he made it firm  and lasting. He did not make it a desolate waste, but a place for people to live. It is he who says, “I am the Lord,
and there is no other god.
21 Come and present your case in court; let the defendants consult one another. Who predicted long ago what would happen? Was it not I, the Lord, the God who saves his people? There is no other god.
22 “Turn to me now and be saved, people all over the world! I am the only God there is.  My promise is true, and it will not be changed. I solemnly promise by all that I am: Everyone will come and kneel before me and vow to be loyal to me.
24 “They will say that only through me are victory and strength to be found; but all who hate me will suffer disgrace.
25 I, the Lord, will rescue all the descendants of Jacob, and they will give me praise.
Psalms: Psalm 85:9-14
9 Surely he is ready to save those who honor him, and his saving presence will remain in our land.
10 Love and faithfulness will meet; righteousness and peace will embrace.
11 Human loyalty will reach up from the earth, and God's righteousness will look down from heaven.
12 The Lord will make us prosperous, and our land will produce rich harvests.
13 Righteousness will go before the Lord and prepare the path for him.
Gospel: Luke 7:18-23
(The Messengers from John the Baptist)

18 When John's disciples told him about all these things, he called two of them
19 and sent them to the Lord to ask him, “Are you the one John said was going to come, or should we expect someone else?”
20 When they came to Jesus, they said, “John the Baptist sent us to ask if you are the one he said was going to come, or should we expect someone else?”
21 At that very time Jesus healed many people from their sicknesses, diseases, and evil spirits, and gave sight to many blind people.
22 He answered John's messengers, “Go back and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind can see, the lame can walk, those who suffer from dreaded skin diseases are made clean,  the deaf can hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is preached to the poor. 23 How happy are those who have no doubts about me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...