Wednesday 21 December 2011

Thursday, December 22, 2011 (Advent Weekday)

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
Brethren, now you are no more strangers and foreigners: but you are fellow-citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone.
-- Eph 2: 19-20


READINGS FOR TODAY
First Reading: 1 Samuel 1:24-28

24 After she had weaned him, she took him to Shiloh, taking along a three-year-old bull,
a bushel of flour, and a leather bag full of wine. She took Samuel, young as he was, to the house of the Lord at Shiloh.
25 After they had killed the bull, they took the child to Eli.
26 Hannah said to him, “Excuse me, sir. Do you remember me? I am the woman you saw standing here, praying to the Lord.
27 I asked him for this child, and he gave me what I asked for.
28 So I am dedicating him to the Lord. As long as he lives, he will belong to the Lord.”
Then they
worshiped the Lord there.

Psalms: 1 Samuel 2:1, 4-8
(Hannah's Prayer)

1 Hannah prayed:
“The Lord has filled my heart with joy; how happy I am because of what he has done! I laugh at my enemies;
how joyful I am because God has helped me!
4 The bows of strong soldiers are broken, but the weak grow strong.
5 The people who once were well fed now hire themselves out to get food, but the hungry are hungry no more.
The childless wife has borne seven children, but the mother of many is left with none.
6 The Lord kills and restores to life; he sends people to the world of the dead and brings them back again.
7 He makes some people poor and others rich; he humbles some and makes others great.
8 He lifts the poor from the dust and raises the needy from their misery. He makes them companions of princes
and puts them in places of honor. The foundations of the earth belong to the Lord; on them he has built the world.

Gospel: Luke 1:46-56
(Mary's Song of Praise)

46 Mary said, “My heart praises the Lord;
47 my soul is glad because of God my Savior, for he has remembered me, his lowly servant! From now on all people will call me happy,
49 because of the great things the Mighty God has done for me. His name is holy;
50 from one generation to another he shows mercy to those who honor him.
51 He has stretched out his mighty arm and scattered the proud with all their plans.
52 He has brought down mighty kings from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away with empty hands.
54 He has kept the promise he made to our ancestors, and has come to the help of his servant Israel.
55 He has remembered to show mercy to Abraham and to all his descendants forever!”
56 Mary stayed about three months with Elizabeth and then went back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...