Thursday 1 December 2011

Friday, December 02, 2011 (Advent Weekday)

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
Humility is the only thing that no devil can imitate. If pride made demons out of angels, there is no doubt that humility could make angels out of demons.
-- St John Climacus


READINGS FOR TODAY
First Reading: Isaiah 29:17-24

17 As the saying goes, before long the dense forest will become farmland, and the farmland will go back to forest.
18 When that day comes, the deaf will be able to hear a book being read aloud, and the blind, who have been living in darkness, will open their eyes and see.
19 Poor and humble people will once again find the happiness which the Lord, the holy God of Israel, gives.20 It will be the end of those who oppress others and show contempt for God. Every sinner will be destroyed.
21 God will destroy those who slander others, those who prevent the punishment of criminals, and those who tell lies to keep honest people from getting justice.
22 So now the Lord, the God of Israel, who rescued Abraham from trouble, says, “My people, you will not be disgraced any longer, and your faces will no longer be pale with shame.
23 When you see the children that I will give you, then you will acknowledge that I am the holy God of Israel. You will honor me and stand in awe of me.
24 Foolish people will learn to understand, and those who are always grumbling will be glad to be taught.”
Psalms: Psalm 27:1, 4, 13-14
(A Prayer of Praise)

1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; I will fear no one. The Lord protects me from all danger; I will never be afraid.
4 I have asked the Lord for one thing; one thing only do I want: to live in the Lord's house all my life, to marvel there at his goodness, and to ask for his guidance.
13 I know that I will live to see the Lord's goodness in this present life.
14 Trust in the Lord. Have faith, do not despair. Trust in the Lord.
Gospel: Matthew 9:27-31
(Jesus Heals Two Blind Men)

27 Jesus left that place, and as he walked along, two blind men started following him. “Have mercy on us, Son of David!” they shouted.
28 When Jesus had gone indoors, the two blind men came to him, and he asked them, “Do you believe that I can heal you?” “Yes, sir!” they answered.
29 Then Jesus touched their eyes and said, “Let it happen, then, just as you believe!”—
30 and their sight was restored. Jesus spoke sternly to them, “Don't tell this to anyone!”
31 But they left and spread the news about Jesus all over that part of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...