Tuesday 1 November 2011

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 {The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls)}

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
The devil will try to upset you by accusing you of being unworthy of the blessings that you have received. Simply remain cheerful and do your best to ignore the devil's nagging. If need be even laugh at the absurdity of the situation. Satan, the epitome of sin itself, accuses you of unworthiness! When the devil reminds you of your past, remind him of his future!
-- St. Theresa of Avila


READINGS FOR TODAY
First Reading: Wisdom 3:1-9

(The Destiny of the Righteous)

1 But righteous people are protected by God and will never suffer torment.
2 It is a foolish mistake to think that righteous people die and that their death is a terrible evil.
3 They leave us, but it is not a disaster. In fact, the righteous are at peace.
4 It might appear that they have suffered punishment, but they have the confident hope of immortality.
5 Their sufferings were minor compared with the blessings they will receive. God has tested them,
6 like gold in a furnace, and found them worthy to be with him. He has accepted them, just as he accepts the sacrifices which his worshipers burn on the altar.
7 When God comes to reward the righteous, they will blaze out against the wicked like fire in dry straw.
8 They will rule over nations and peoples, and the Lord will be their king forever.
9 Those who have put their trust in God will come to understand the truth of his ways. Those who have been faithful will live with him in his love, for he is kind and merciful to the ones whom he has chosen.
Psalms: Psalm 27:1, 4, 7-9, 13-14
(A Prayer of Praise)

1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; I will fear no one. The Lord protects me from all danger; I will never be afraid.
4 I have asked the Lord for one thing; one thing only do I want: to live in the Lord's house all my life, to marvel there at his goodness, and to ask for his guidance.
7 Hear me, Lord, when I call to you! Be merciful and answer me!
8 When you said, “Come worship me,” I answered, “I will come, Lord.”
9 Don't hide yourself from me! Don't be angry with me; don't turn your servant away. You have been my help; don't leave me, don't abandon me, O God, my savior.
13 I know that I will live to see the Lord's goodness in this present life.
14 Trust in the Lord. Have faith, do not despair. Trust in the Lord.
Second Reading: Romans 5:5-11
5 This hope does not disappoint us, for God has poured out his love into our hearts by means of the Holy Spirit, who is God's gift to us.
6 For when we were still helpless, Christ died for the wicked at the time that God chose.
7 It is a difficult thing for someone to die for a righteous person. It may even be that someone might dare to die for a good person.
8 But God has shown us how much he loves us—it was while we were still sinners that Christ died for us!
9 By his blood  we are now put right with God; how much more, then, will we be saved by him from God's anger! 10 We were God's enemies, but he made us his friends through the death of his Son. Now that we are God's friends, how much more will we be saved by Christ's life!
11 But that is not all; we rejoice because of what God has done through our Lord Jesus Christ, who has now made us God's friends.
Gospel: John 11:17-27
(Jesus the Resurrection and the Life)

17 When Jesus arrived, he found that Lazarus had been buried four days before.
18 Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem,
19 and many Judeans had come to see Martha and Mary to comfort them about their brother's death.
20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed in the house.
21 Martha said to Jesus, “If you had been here, Lord, my brother would not have died!
22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask him for.”
23 “Your brother will rise to life,” Jesus told her.
24 “I know,” she replied, “that he will rise to life on the last day.”
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me will live, even though they die; 26 and those who live and believe in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
27 “Yes, Lord!” she answered. “I do believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who was to come into the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...