Monday 3 October 2011

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 {St. Francis of Assisi, Deacon, Religious, Founder of the Three Orders (Solemnity)}

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
Go forth in peace, for you have followed the good road. Go forth without fear, for he who created you has made you holy, has always protected you, and loves you as a mother. Blessed be you, my God, for having created me.
-- St Clare of Assisi


READINGS FOR TODAY
First Reading: Sirach 50:1, 3-4, 6-7
(Simon the Priest)
1 High Priest Simon the son of Onias repaired and fortified the temple,
3 Simon also dug a cistern as big as the large bronze bowl called “the Sea.” 
4 He fortified Jerusalem and drew up plans in case it was ever attacked or surrounded.
6 like the morning star between the clouds or a full moon during a festival,
7 or like sunshine on the temple of God Most High, or a brilliant rainbow set against beautiful clouds.
Psalms: Psalm 16:1-2, 5, 7-8, 11
(A special psalm by David.)
The Best Choice
1 Protect me, Lord God! I run to you for safety,
2 and I have said, “Only you are my Lord! Every good thing I have is a gift from you.”
5 You, Lord, are all I want! You are my choice, and you keep me safe.
7 I praise you, Lord, for being my guide. Even in the darkest night, your teachings fill my mind.
8 I will always look to you, as you stand beside me and protect me from fear.
11 You have shown me the path to life, and you make me glad by being near to me. Sitting at your right side, I will always be joyful.
Second Reading: Galatians 6:14-18
14 But I will never brag about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of his cross, the world is dead as far as I am concerned, and I am dead as far as the world is concerned.
15 It doesn't matter if you are circumcised or not. All that matters is that you are a new person.
16 If you follow this rule, you will belong to God's true people. God will treat you with undeserved kindness and will bless you with peace.
17 On my own body are scars that prove I belong to Christ Jesus. So I don't want anyone to bother me anymore.
18 My friends, I pray that the Lord Jesus Christ will be kind to you! Amen.
Gospel: Matthew 11:25-30 or Luke 10:21, 22
(Come to Me and Rest)
25 At that moment Jesus said:
My Father, Lord of heaven and earth, I am grateful that you hid all this from wise and educated people and showed it to ordinary people. 
26 Yes, Father, that is what pleased you.
27 My Father has given me everything, and he is the only one who knows the Son. The only one who truly knows the Father is the Son. But the Son wants to tell others about the Father, so that they can know him too.
28 If you are tired from carrying heavy burdens, come to me and I will give you rest.
29 Take the yoke  I give you. Put it on your shoulders and learn from me. I am gentle and humble, and you will find rest.
30 This yoke is easy to bear, and this burden is light.
OR

Luke 10.21, 22
(Jesus Rejoices)
21 At that time Jesus was filled with joy by the Holy Spirit  and said, “Father, Lord of heaven and earth! I thank you because you have shown to the unlearned what you have hidden from the wise and learned. Yes, Father, this was how you were pleased to have it happen.
22 “My Father has given me all things. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...