Wednesday 14 September 2011

Thursday, September 15, 2011 {Our Lady of Sorrows (Memorial))

REFLECTION FOR TODAY
Perfect love leads a man on to perfect fear. Such a man fears and keeps to God's will, not from fear of punishment, not to avoid condemnation, but because he has tasted the sweetness of being with God; he fears he may fall away from it.
-- St. Dorotheos of Gaza


READINGS FOR TODAY
First Reading: Hebrews 5:7-9
7 In his life on earth Jesus made his prayers and requests with loud cries and tears to God, who could save him from death. Because he was humble and devoted, God heard him. 
8 But even though he was God's Son, he learned through his sufferings to be obedient. 
9 When he was made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all those who obey him,



Psalms: Psalm 31:2-6, 15-16, 20
2 Hear me! Save me now! Be my refuge to protect me; my defense to save me.
3 You are my refuge and defense; guide me and lead me as you have promised.
4 Keep me safe from the trap that has been set for me; shelter me from danger.  I place myself in your care. You will save me, Lord; you are a faithful God.
6 You hate those who worship false gods, but I trust in you.
15 I am always in your care; save me from my enemies, from those who persecute me.
16 Look on your servant with kindness; save me in your constant love.
20 You hide them in the safety of your presence from the plots of others; in a safe shelter you hide them from the insults of their enemies.


Gospel: John 19:25-27 or Luke 2:33-35
John 19:25-27
25 Standing close to Jesus' cross were his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 
26 Jesus saw his mother and the disciple he loved standing there; so he said to his mother, “He is your son.”
27 Then he said to the disciple, “She is your mother.” From that time the disciple took her to live in his home.
OR
Luke 2:33-35
33 The child's father and mother were amazed at the things Simeon said about him. 
34 Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother, “This child is chosen by God for the destruction and the salvation of many in Israel. He will be a sign from God which many people will speak against 35 and so reveal their secret thoughts. And sorrow, like a sharp sword, will break your own heart.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...